Let’s start at the beginning…, a local family had an idea. They wanted to build a tennis and multi-sport facility that would provide free access to all students (21,000 to be exact) within the Chignecto Central Regional School Board. That was the idea, and three years later, is became a reality.
What is The Cougar Dome?
A not-for-profit organization… Yes, we have a charitable registration number.
A tennis and multi-sport facility, which means what? In terms of the basics, the Dome (meaning the bubble itself) has:
- -Six full-size tennis courts
- -15,000sq. ft. portable synthetic turf surface, expandable as needed
- -2-lane, 260m synthetic track
- -Long and triple jump pit(s)
- -10 bay golf range
In addition to the Dome, the attached, permanent Clubhouse will house:
- -Locker Rooms (one male, one female)
- -Reception Area
- -Pro Shop
- -Meeting Room (which can be rented)
- -Director's Office
- -Truro’s newest Subway Restaurant, including the first-ever in Atlantic Canada, Subway Café
The Cougar Dome provides free access to students between the hours of 9am-3pm, while at the same time, ensuring open access for general public use during school hours, as well as early mornings, evenings and weekends.